Professional Development Fund Policy
Policy regarding the distribution of PD funds for individual member professional development.
- $9,600 has been budgeted for assisting members in the area of individual professional development including conferences and workshops being held during the year. Summer programs eligible for consideration would include affiliate sponsored workshops (OECTA, OTF, OTF Affiliates) or other conferences/workshops. Any member of the unit may be granted an amount up to $200 to attend a conference or workshop, with a maximum of $800 being distributed monthly, including July and August. (Monies not allocated each month will carry over to the next month.)
- Such funding will be limited to one PD grant per teacher per year for either attending a Conference/Workshop or taking an ABQ/AQ/University/College course.
- Applications must include proof of Board/School funding and/or approval to attend a conference/workshop OR a letter to the Board/Principal, notifying the Superintendent or Principal of intent to attend a conference/workshop and requesting financial assistance. (It is not a prerequisite that such monetary assistance has been granted by the Board/ School.)
- Submit a) completed application form (see website for form) b) proof of Board/ School funding and/or approval OR a copy of the request letter sent to the Board/ Principal to the Unit Office by the 2nd Friday of the month, before the scheduled Executive meeting that precedes the conference (see website for dates).
- Receipts must be submitted to receive payment. Mileage will not be paid; submit gas receipts for travel to and from the conference.
- Only applications for the current school year, including July and August, will be considered. Requests for the following school year must be submitted after the beginning of the new school year, and approved by that Executive.
- Where requests for PD funds in any given month exceed the number of PD funds available, selection of applications shall take place as follows:
- Maximum two members per school will be funded to attend the same conference/workshop.
- Maximum amount of money granted by the Unit for any one conference/workshop shall be $800.
- Applicants who have not previously been granted funding will take priority over previous recipients of funding.
- Relevance to curriculum, teacher welfare, and classroom application shall be considered.
- If all other criteria are the same, first come, first served basis will prevail.
- Failing i) through v), applicants names will be drawn.
- On a bi-annual basis – at the first Executive meeting after December 31 and at the last Executive meeting in June – all complete applications that were denied will be reviewed and reassessed contingent upon surplus PD funds. Applications that were submitted before the deadline will be given priority.
- Following Executive approval, the member will receive an approval letter, a report form, and an expense claim form. Those not approved will also receive a letter. Updated Mar 8, 2011