E a s t e r n U p d a t e -Thursday, January 12, 2005
Ontario College of Teachers
Before the holidays, we were advised not to create a private account with the OCT until a legal opinion was received by Provincial Office. The one purpose of this account was to provide members with an income tax receipt for the $104 fee. Donna Marie Kennedy has informed us that 2006 paper receipts will be provided at no cost to teachers requesting a copy. A private account is no longer necessary.
Last call for individuals interested in attending the OECTA Annual General Meeting in Toronto March 11 to 13, 2006! The Unit is entitled to fifteen delegates this year. Please forward your name to the Unit Office by Friday, January 13 if you wish to be considered.
Unit Newsletter: Easterner
We are requesting submissions for the first 2005-06 edition of the Unit newsletter by Wednesday, January 25, 2005. Articles may include topics concerning education/professional development; reflections on education/other professional issues; your school community’s major happenings. There is a need for individuals who would serve on the editorial board, assisting with the proofing and assembly of the newsletter.
Contact Barb at the Unit Office with submissions or to indicate your interest in assisting.
AQ Courses: Spring 2006
Once again three AQ courses will be offered in Kemptville if there is sufficient registration. See the attached FAXAGENDA. Information is found at www.oecta.on.ca.
- The staff rep in-service, tentatively scheduled for January 17 has been postponed. Further information will be sent in the near future.
- Requests for February PD funds are due tomorrow, January 13th.
- The Unit Executive will meet on January 17th.
- A Regional Collective Bargaining workshop will be held in Ottawa on January 26-27, focusing on contract management and looking toward negotiations in 2008. (Time passes quickly!)
- Steve Kirby our Occasional Teacher President, Jim Roy our Secondary Branch Affiliate representative, and myself, will attend the February Council of Presidents in Toronto at the beginning of February.
We wish everyone happy and rewarding 2006!