E a s t e r n U p d a t e - Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Date: Thursday September 17th
Time: 12:01 a.m. until 11:59 p.m.
This is to remind all teachers that they should have received information on how to retrieve your PIN in order to vote on the negotiated Tentative Agreement. If you have not received an email, or a letter in the regular mail, you still have time to get your PIN. In order to vote, you must have both your OECTA number and your PIN.
If you DO NOT have your PIN, you should:
- Look through your email account for a message that arrived from firstname.lastname@example.org;
- check your spam or promotions folder in your email account;
- check your mail (if you don’t have email) for a letter from OECTA;
- If you still need help obtaining your 20-Digit PIN, call the help line at 1-844-550-3793. Please have your OECTA Membership Number, your Social Insurance Number and your Ontario College of Teachers Registration Number available for verification.
Teachers continue to use their professional judgement when it comes to diagnostic assessment for their students. Diagnostic assessment tools may be used in order to inform teaching and learning practices in the classroom.
Policy/Program Memorandum 155 (Ontario Ministry of Education) states: “Teachers shall use their professional judgement to determine:
- Which assessment and/or evaluation tool(s) from the board’s list of pre-approved assessment tools is applicable
- For which student(s); and
- The frequency and timing of the use of the tool.
Diagnostic assessment is used to identify a student’s needs and abilities and the student’s readiness to acquire the knowledge and skills outlined in the curriculum expectations. Information from diagnostic assessment helps teachers determine where individual students are in their acquisition of knowledge and skills, so that instruction can be personalized and tailored to provide the appropriate next steps for learning.”
The data obtained from these assessments are for the teachers purposes as outlined above, but may be provided to the administrator if requested. There is no requirement on the teachers part to input the data into any program.
If you are required to administer assessments or enter data, please contact either Dale or Barb at the unit office.